Aren’t all hearing care providers doctors?

The majority of audiologists practicing are doctors of audiology, meaning they studied hearing and balance in the ear and in the brain for eight years. They have worked hard so that they can provide you with the best possible care. Some audiologists do practice with a masters degree. The transition from Masters to Doctorate happened about 12 years ago, so an audiologist with a masters degree is someone with a lot of experience.

To sell a hearing aid in North Carolina, a person is required to have a hearing aid dispenser license. This license requires passing a test and completing a one year internship. Most hearing care provided in retail outlets is provided by someone who has invested a year preparing to take care of you. At our audiology practice, your care is provided by doctors who invested a significant portion of their time and energy to be able to provide you with the best possible care.

Make sure you know who is providing your hearing care. We know from research that a good provider and a comprehensive plan of care results in better long term usage rates, speech understanding, and patient satisfaction.