One of the most common questions people ask about their hearing aids is when they should update them. This seemingly simple question has a varied answer that depends on a variety of factors. Hearing aids are durable devices that are built to last for several years. But depending on a host of factors like how well you maintain your hearing aids, changing hearing needs, interest in new hearing technologies, and exposure to elements like moisture; you could benefit from updating your hearing aids.
If you are thinking about updating your hearing aids or would like to know how to approach this, we recommend starting by answering a few important questions:
- Are my hearing aids still working well? If your hearing aids don’t seem to be performing the way they used to, it may be time to update them. A few signs that your hearing aids aren’t working optimally include:
- Your device powers off randomly.
- You experience feedback noise, sounds are muffled or distorted.
- Your batteries don’t last very long and you are replacing them frequently.
- Sound quality is not as sharp or crisp as it was before.
These signs indicate that there is likely an internal issue that is causing these malfunctions. Hearing aids can be impacted by daily wear and tear. These devices interact with the same elements we experience: rain, humidity, earwax in the ears etc. These substances can accumulate on hearing aids which is why regular maintenance is important. Hearing aid components can become damaged, break, experience corrosion etc. If these signs seem familiar, it is important to have your hearing aid inspected by a specialist who can identify any underlying cause of your hearing aid issue and let you know if updating your device is the best course of action.
- Have my hearing needs changed? Your hearing needs can change over time. Hearing loss ranges from mild to severe and you can shift on this spectrum. The degree of your impairment in each ear can change which may require a new prescription. This highlights the importance of having your hearing assessed regularly so that you can track adn address any changes you may experience. Your ears and the shape of them can also change in ways that may require an adjustment or updated device.
- Have any major lifestyle factors changed? In addition to hearing needs changing over time, evaluating if any lifestyle factors have changed is also important. Lifestyle factors inform the type of hearing aid that is optimal for your everyday life. Factors like the type of climate you live in, the environments you regularly navigate, the activities you participate in etc. help identify the type of support your hearing needs. So if you are really socially active and find yourself in social spaces often, you could benefit from hearing aids that offer background noise reduction. If your lifestyle has shifted or changed in major ways since you got your current hearing aid, it may be time to start thinking about updating your device.
- Am I interested in the latest hearing aid technologies? Another useful question to think about is your interest in recently developed hearing aid technologies. The hearing aid industry continues to produce cutting edge technology that stretches what hearing aids can do. This includes the world’s first invisible hearing (Phonak’s Lyric) aid as well as waterproof devices. In addition to these features, there are numerous technologies that enhance sound quality and connectivity that you could benefit from. This includes: health tracking features, Bluetooth connectivity, digital noise reduction, voice recognition, tinnitus management, access to virtual assistants and apps etc. These technologies allow hearing aids to easily connect with other devices and integrate into daily life.
In addition to innovative hearing aid features, there are award winning designs that offer a sleek appeal. Hearing aid options today are like wearable pieces of technology that are aesthetically pleasing.
Taking the time to think about these questions is a great way to assess if it is time to update your hearing aids. Contact us today to learn more about your hearing aid options, the latest hearing technologies, and the features you could benefit from. We are happy to help you understand and navigate your options!